WSA C-1060/MM, Battery C Boys on their 155mm GPF, a French Howitzer, with bucking horse emblem at Hohr, Germany, 1918
On July 25, 1917, Wyoming's guard had been fully organized and was up to regimental strength. It consisted of three battalions with 54 officers and 1748 men. In September 1917, the regiment was transferred to Camp Greene, North Carolina. Here, the first battalion, consisting of Companies A, B, C, and D, was united with two Colorado companies to form the 148th Field Artillery. The second and third battalions were united with one from Oregon to form the 116th Ammunition Train.
The 148th Field Artillery was transferred to Camp Mills, New York, and in 1918, to France. It saw action at Chateau Thierry, Vaux, Chartreuse, Vesle, Fismus, Verdun, St. Miheil, Mount Sec, Argonne and Meuse. After the Armistice, it was stationed at Coblenz as part of the army of occupation.
In 1916, troops from the Wyoming National Guard, led by Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, were sent to Deming, New Mexico, to help defend the border against raids and attacks by Pancho Villa and other Mexican Revolutionaries.
While in Europe, the Wyoming unit was asked to use a symbol to mark their equipment and supplies. A bucking horse in a circle was drawn and spray painted onto trucks, artillery, airplanes and other supplies. This symbol predates Wyoming's trademark bucking horse logo, but may have been an inspiration for its design in 1935-1936.